Monday, November 26, 2007

And So It Begins...


Welcome to cascoretopia! What the heck does that mean, you ask? Well, in recent months a category of gamer that has been around for a long time has moved more into the spotlight as the industry has gone through changes. With a heavier focus on 'casual' gamers, and some unfounded panic about the abandonment of 'hardcore' gamers, some in the industry have begun using a term for a third group; 'cascore'(pronounced caz-core)

Cascore gamers are the middle ground between the casual and hardcore groups, where marathon overnight Halo sessions don't happen (anymore, anyhow) but interest is stronger than merely an occasional bout of Wii Sports. We are very into gaming, but not 'I drank the PS3 koolaid', 'I camped all night for Mass Effect' or 'I'm considering moving next door to the Nintendo World Store' into it.

I myself definitely qualify as a 'cascore' gamer, although once upon a time I was a bonafide member of the hardcore community (often the case for us), and I couldn't help but notice a lack of internet coverage geared toward our demographic. Perhaps it could be argued that 'cascore' gamers don't frequent websites or blogs about gaming (I do), but I felt this would be a worthy experiment nonetheless.

So, here it is! Cascoretopia! If you are a cascore gamer, welcome home...

No comments: